This is a 165 days paddy variety with the following characteristics :
- It grows well in clayey and sandy clay soil where there is good drainage facility.
- It is suitable for making a speciality dish called “Pittu” of South India.
- It is also known as ‘Garudan samba’. The appearance of the grains is like the neck of the brahmini kite (Garudan) – ie. it has a white ring and hence the name.
- The rice is of fine variety and white in colour. Hence it is suitable for the South Indian meal.
- The season for cultivation is between the months of July and January.